Unexpected Error when creating a new Workflow in AX 2012 R2

A colleague recently faced a problem regarding workflows in AX 2012 R2. When he tried to add a new workflow AX reported an error “An unexpected error has occurred while opening the workflow. See the event log on the AOS and contact your system administrator to resolve the issue.”  In a first step I added some code to Forms > WorkflowEditorHost > build() Method before the error is thrown to get the Stack and Exception Text

image

This revealed a problem with the services: “The communication object, System.ServiceModel.Channels. ServiceChannel, cannot be used for communication because it is in Faulted state.

image

Fortunately, such a problem can be solved with Default AX Voodoo. Generating Full IL and recreating the WCF configuration in the Dynamics AX Client Configuration Utility solved the problem.

BI Service Error: SSASFrameworkService not generated, Instance of ‚SysSecRole‘ could not be created

I recently faced another problem with SSRS reports. The BI Service (Administration > Setup > AIF > Incoming Ports) was down and could not be activated. Trying to re-activate the service resulted in an error telling me that the SSASFrameworkService could not be generated because an instance of service class „SysSecRole“ could not be generated. AOS restart and Full IL Compilation didn’t solve the problem.

However, the solution was to re-deploy the AIF Service Group: AOT > Service Groups > BI Service > Context Menu > Deploy Service Group. Afterwards the BI Service could be activated and reports were working again.

SSRS Error: Dynamic packer query not found

Once again I came across an SSRS error, telling me the dynamic packed query was not found.
\Classes\SRSQueryBuilder\initalize (21)

The environment has 3 AOS, all of them running on one windows server (2712/8101, 2713/8102, 2714/8103) and 3 SSRS instances all running on another windows server. Since default AX voodoo like restart and incremental IL did not resolve the problem, I check and corrected issues following this checklist

In Dynamics AX

  • All AX instances have the BC Proxy account configured as system service account under
    System Administration > Setup > System > System service account
  • Every AX instance has its own SSRS report server configured
    System Administration > Setup > Business Intelligence > Reporting Services > Report Server
  • There is only one default configuration
  • The name (of the windows server) is correct e.g. VM-SRV-SQL
  • The name of the SSRS instance (!) is correct and configured e.g. MSSQLSERER, SSRSLIVE, SSRSTEST,etc.
  • Check the URL (they are in reverse order in the SSRS configuration manager) *argh*
      The report manager url is correct. That’s where you can browse the folder and set permissions
      The report service url is corret. That’s the web service
  • The configuration is assigned to the correct AOS
    Check the online users form if you are not sure which AOS you are actually using

On the SSRS server

  • All SSRS instances are running and all SSRS instances run as BC Proxy account
  • The default configuration (that cannot be changed in the AX configuration utility) is valid
  • The SSRS instances have a valid Microsoft.Dynamics.AX.ReportConfiguration.axc.configuration file in the Report Server\bin directory. If you are not sure, create a new configuration using the configuration utility, test the configuration by starting AX, save the configuration as file and replace the old one in the Report Server\Bin directory
  • Make sure the Business Connector configuration has a default company name e.g. DAT
  • Restart the SSRS instances

HP MT 3300 in SBS 2008 Environment running Dynamics AX 2009

image

I’ve recently added a HP MT 3300 Desktop PC to a Small Business Server 2008 domain running Dynamics AX 2009. Out of the box I was facing two issues:

1) SBS 2008 reported an error it could not communicate with the new client machine.

2) Opening the AOT was freezing the Dynamics AX client and crashed after a while because of insufficient memory. Very strange issue that could not to be fixed with any rollup or hotfix for Dynamics AX 2009.

 

 

Solution 1)
Per default the machine is running Norton Internet Security. Go to Settings > Network Settings > Firewall > Access Control. Set the SBS Server machine to Full Trust.

image

Solution 2)
Thanks to Microsoft Support: HP Security Manager is causing this issue (not only on MT 3300). Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP ProtectTools Security Manager\Bin and find the DpFbView.dll file. Rename the file to DpFbView.old.